I'm Chosen: Ephesians 1:1-14
Battle Ready Part 1:
LISTEN TO SERMON HERE:
Group Discussion Guide
Life is a battle, filled with challenges along the way. Everybody struggles with something. We may feel we don’t belong, don’t fit in, can’t discern our purpose. Sometimes life is just plain hard. No matter what your struggle is, in Jesus we have new life, new identity and purpose. We belong and matter to Christ—-and that changes everything.
1. Read Ephesians 1:1-14
”Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints who are in Ephesus, and are faithful in Christ Jesus: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.
In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory."
2. discussion Questions:
1. What in these verses makes you feel valued by God?
2. What does this passage teach you about who God is? What does it tell you about who you are?
3. Have you ever received forgiveness that you didn't deserve? Have you ever extended forgiveness to someone else? How did that impact your life?
4. Have there been times when you knew something to be true but still struggled to believe it?
5. With the Lord’s help, how can your faith in God’s promises move from your head to your heart?
In Christ, you are chosen. That’s who you are. You matter. You are not what others think, not your past, not your failures. God has chosen you, adopted you, values you, loves you and has forgiven you. Read Ephesians 1 every day this week and let the truth of who God says you are sink in.
4. Commit to memory: Ephesians 1:4
“…Even as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him…”
5. next steps
• The Marriage Workshop is next weekend. If you haven’t already signed up, you can do it now on the church website. Consider attending with your Small Group!
• For more on this topic read this blog post written by our Groups Pastor Jon Wood.