Sermon: Jesus as Teacher
A Doubter’s Guide to Jesus Part 1
Jesus as Teacher: Matthew 7:24-28
Group Discussion Guide: Week 1
Jesus as Teacher
We all have doubts. No matter if you’re brand new to the Christian faith or have been a believer for years, every one of us needs to trust Jesus more. In this passage from Matthew 7, Jesus teaches us what we should put our faith in.
1. Read Matthew 7:24-29
“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it. And when Jesus had finished these sayings, the crowds were astonished at His teaching, for He was teaching as one who had authority, and not as their scribes.”
2: Discussion Questions:
1. How was it that Jesus taught? What made Him different than other teachers of His day?
2. What will sustain you when difficult times come? On what is your hope built?
3. What is Jesus calling us to in this passage?
4. What is He warning us against?
Do you have a category in your theology that anchors your hope in Jesus? What is your faith built on? Jesus taught with authority on this topic and many others. Here, He is teaching us that His Word is the rock on which we are to build our foundation. Do you trust Him this way? How are some ways you can grow in that trust?
4. Commit to Memory: Matthew 7:28-29
“ And when Jesus had finished these sayings, the crowds were astonished at His teaching, for He was teaching as one who had authority, and not as their scribes.
5: Things to Know:
• For more on this topic go HERE for a blog post written by our College Pastor Daniel Wagner.
• On April 19th at 7pm we will have an evening Good Friday Service. It will be a special time with our faith family of worship, prayer, and reflection. Please mark your calendars and make plans to attend. Childcare will be offered for kids 5 and under.